Monday, May 5, 2008

Last day at Edfu temple

Well today was my last day at Edfu temple, and I have to say I’ll miss it :(. I went early in the morning since I was antsy to go due to not going yesterday. I spent 3 hours there today. During the first part there were a few tour groups, but after awhile it was again mostly empty, the way I like it. I was taking photos in the laboratory again (one of my favourite rooms), and a tour group came in. The guide was telling everyone that this particular room was very important because this is where they kept all of the important and legal documents. He then pointed out a cartouche to everyone. After the guide was out of earshot I told the group he was lying that this was the perfume room LOL. It’s pretty pathetic when someone calls themselves a guide and leads groups and hasn’t even read a single book on the temple they are giving tours of. I also figure this wasn’t just a guide hired right outside the temple since the group consisted of over 10 people that didn’t look like they knew each other.At one point I borrowed one of the policeman’s chairs and had him come with me so I could take some photos of the higher up hieroglyphics and designs. It was frustrating that I was only getting less then half of the entire wall since it went up so high. At least with the chair I got another row of bricks. The guard looked at the 20LE I handed him like it wasn’t that much. $5 US for 5 minutes of chair rental was pretty good I thought, and perhaps half his daily salary. I went into every room and did a Horus chant, which brought about a lot of presence in some of the rooms, and less presence in others. I also spent some time in the Mammasi and said hello to Hathor. When I left I was sad to go and knew I would miss the temple, but at least I will see a few more before I leave Egypt.All I did was walk downstairs this evening, and apparently the hotel staff didn’t think I ate enough for breakfast this morning (I wasn’t as hungry as usual) and asked me if I would like some food. Well the food last night was so good, and I was hungry so I said yes. I thought they were thinking a light meal like last night. Meanwhile I come to find out they laid out a huge dinner for me! Fried fish, soup, the yummy potato/tomato dish, flavoured rice, some vegetables and bread. I couldn’t finish it. Then the manger has a few cantaloupes brought in for me! I was only able to eat one of them, as I was so stuffed already. The manager said something about this being “lunch”, then said something about dinner. I assured him that I definitely would not be eating dinner later LOL. I would wonder if Egyptians eat this way all the time, but I can’t imagine so as they are mostly all so thin! I asked the manager if he eats this much usually and he said yes. One of his sons also told me that Egyptians in general tend to eat food and drink tea all day long. Well I leave tomorrow morning, so one more huge meal at most, then back to restaurant food which isn’t nearly as good and is much smaller in size (which is a good thing at this point I think).

No comments: